- (及物) 削尖，磨鋒利；(比喻) 加強，加重
- to sharpen a pencil or a knife or a musical note
- Template:RQ:Burke Reflections
- He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill.
- 2013年7月26日, Leo Hickman, “How algorithms rule the world”, in The Guardian Weekly, 卷189, number 7, page 26:
- The use of algorithms in policing is one example of their increasing influence on our lives. […] who, if anyone, is policing their use. Such concerns were sharpened further by the continuing revelations about how the US National Security Agency (NSA) has been using algorithms to help it interpret the colossal amounts of data it has collected from its covert dragnet of international telecommunications.
- (不及物) 變尖